Winter can be a tough time for drivers. From slippery roads to piles of snow to increased darkness, it’s no surprise that 21 percent of all traffic accidents in America occur during hazardous weather.
But winter is not just hard on commuters. It’s also tough on the cars that they drive. Moisture, salt, sludge, and cold temperatures can all wreak havoc on a vehicle. Read about 10 winter car care tips below and then visit Jack Daniels Volkswagen for help with winter car care in Fair Lawn, NJ.
Winter Car Care Tips
As each winter arrives, consider executing the following car care tips.
- Check your battery. Car batteries are more prone to fail during colder temperatures, so check your battery prior to winter and replace it if needed.
- Check your brakes. Brakes are never more important than on slippery roads, so have your brakes inspected every year.
- Wash and wax your car. A coat of wax provides a layer of protection against salt, sludge and moisture. And washing your car a few times each winter helps get rid of excess buildup of winter road grime.
- Top off your antifreeze. Antifreeze prevents the liquids in your engine from freezing up in the cold, so top off your level before temperatures drop.
- Replace your wiper blades. You’ll need a sharp set of wiper blades to combat snow and sleet. Check and replace as needed and turn your wiper blades to an upright position at night to keep them from freezing to the windshield.
- Change to winter tires. Winter tires provide greater traction than all-season tires and also retain their softness in the cold to better grip the road.
- Check your tire pressure regularly. Cold temperatures cause tire pressures to drop, so make a habit of checking them each week in the winter.
- Make a roadside emergency kit. Flares, a flashlight with spare batteries, jumper cables, water and non-perishable food, warm clothes and a blanket, and a backup cell phone are all good things to keep on hand should you get stranded in the winter.
- Check your heating and defrost systems. You wouldn’t want to take on winter without a properly functioning heating and defrost system.
- Check your lights. Driving in the winter means driving in darkness more often, so check to see that your headlights, taillights, and brake lights are all in working order and illuminating brightly.
Winter Starts at Jack Daniels Volkswagen
Kick off winter with a trip to Jack Daniels Volkswagen for assistance with winter car care in Fair Lawn, NJ. Our service specials can protect you and your vehicle from the elements. You can also shop our accessories to outfit your vehicle with wintertime gear.
Schedule your service appointment today.